punk rock!

Go down

punk rock!

Post  seitan on Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 pm

well, thats how i got to metal.
ive played in punk bands since the early to mid 80's. id always liked motorhead for their more aggressive style, especially the faster stuff, like the classic ace of spades (that song was well ahead of its time, and still holds strong even today, ove 25 years on!).
there was this style of music i wanted to do, a kind of punk metal crossover, aggressive, but more complex guitar parts.
one day, i bought reign in blood by slayer and was TOTALLY blown away (and still am even today when i play it!). that was the style i had in mind even tho i couldnt quite hear it myself.
from that day on, things changed, and my musical style (guitaring) went to metal.
i still play in punk bands, but my main focus is on metal.
the most recent project is a morbid angel/deicide crossover. the 1st release is 6 songs which will hopefully be released later in the year. we've already started on the 2nd release (8 new songs so far) which is less "melodic" that the first release, but more aggressive and much more powerfull. this band is called talisman and all members are vegan.
seitan
Veg'metal Prayer
Veg'metal Prayer

Number of posts : 14
favorite metal style : death
diet : vegan
Registration date : 2008-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: punk rock!

Post  Cynic on Thu May 22, 2008 10:26 am

Morbid angel / deicide cross over can be a sort of Vital Remains ?
Cynic
Vegan Inquisitor

Number of posts : 225
favorite metal style : any metal
diet : Vegan
Registration date : 2008-04-21

View user profile http://worshipseitan.warsforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glen Confront on Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 am

I see Rat is about here. Very Happy Yeah, I too grew up in the Punk scene. Originally I was in the 70's I was into Kiss, Van Halen, Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Blue Cheer, Black Sabbath etc. basically whatever was LOUD! Ha Ha! But in the early eighties I heard Minor Threat and Bad Brains on a tape a friend got from his older brother. That was it, I cut my hair super short and dove headfirst into the Punk scene. I had some friends who were metal guys about 85-86 and they used to play Venom, Sodom, Wytchfinder General, Hallows Eve, Pungent Stench, Celtic Frost, Slayer, Sacred Reich, Sepultura etc. I dug that too because of the speed and aggression. I really liked "Hell Awaits" from Slayer then "reign in Blood" came out and it blew me away. Still holds up to this day and kicks ass over 99% of modern "metalcore" (theres a term that's been ruined). Never became a metalhead was and still are Punk but I love alot of Metal, and eighties Crossover stuff especially Cryptic Slaughter and COC. Also love Roots Reggae. I'll be 40 in July, I'm Vegan into Rastafari, Punk, Metal, reggae, surfing, skating, hiking, radical environmentalism, Animal liberation and very much into my beautiful wife.

Glen Confront
Lost soul
Lost soul

Number of posts : 9
favorite metal style : Death
diet : Ital Vegan
Registration date : 2008-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic on Fri May 23, 2008 4:18 am

Cryptic slaughter sounds really good. I didn't know COC, it looks like their music evolved a lot as time is passing.
Cynic
Vegan Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Glen Confront on Tue May 27, 2008 6:59 am

Cynic wrote:Cryptic slaughter sounds really good. I didn't know COC, it looks like their music evolved a lot as time is passing.
Oh yeah COC changed alot from their early days. "Animosity" was my fave album by them although "Technocracy" was really good as well. They eventually morphed into more of a doom or stoner rock type band. Although I much prefer their crossover style stuff I will say they do the doom/stoner style really well if you are into that stuff. Another good Metallic/Punk type band I was/are into is Final Conflict. Good political stuff. Also Nausea and Amebix. Good Metallic/Crust/Punk. Check 'em out.

Glen Confront
Lost soul
Lost soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 am

To be honest, I prefer punk influence than doom or stoner influence. I've heard about Amebix, some sort of pioneer in thrash / punk, no ?
Cynic
Vegan Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Glen Confront on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 am

Cynic wrote:To be honest, I prefer punk influence than doom or stoner influence. I've heard about Amebix, some sort of pioneer in thrash / punk, no ?
Yeah, Amebix was a pioneering band in the Crust/Punk vein. Big influence on bands like Sepultura in the Metal scene and countless bands in the Crust/Punk scene.

Glen Confront
Lost soul
Lost soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 am

I hear tracks on their myspace page, I believe it was more speed but there's really a great atmosphere.
Cynic
Vegan Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  seitan on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 am

i was around in the amebix days (cant remember if i saw them play, im sure i did) and i think they were pretty over-rated. ok, they were different, but i dont think they were that great.
seitan
Veg'metal Prayer
Veg'metal Prayer

Number of posts : 14
favorite metal style : death
diet : vegan
Registration date : 2008-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28 am

Pehraps I look with a metal fan's eyes and not with punk / hardcore fan's eyes
Cynic
Vegan Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Glen Confront on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 am

seitan wrote:i was around in the amebix days (cant remember if i saw them play, im sure i did) and i think they were pretty over-rated. ok, they were different, but i dont think they were that great.
Yeah, I was around in those days as well. I never saw them live but I was/are very into them. Really liked the tribal drumming on alot of their stuff and the "atmoshere" (as Cynic said) in their music. To my ears they just invoked a feeling with their music that was different than most Anarcho bands at that time. But of course my favorite all-time metallic/D-Beat style band is Statement Very Happy . Listen to "tales of mysanthropy, WOW! Twisted Evil

Glen Confront
Lost soul
Lost soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Genital Grinder on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am

Amebix is more doom/crust. A very special band.
Genital Grinder
Veg'metal Prayer
Veg'metal Prayer

Number of posts : 33
favorite metal style : Thrash!!!
diet : Vegetarian
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content